Hunter Changes

Got World of Warcraft news? Seen something cool? Share it here.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Gemui

Re: Hunter Changes

Post by Gemui »

Yeah, its pretty surprising how good it is. Can't believe how well it scales with raid buffs.

It'll be interesting you see the difference its made for you in the next patch!
Demonheart

Post by Demonheart »

If things stay this way, I'm never going BM again! :P The past few days have ruled, I'll see if I can make it to a raid next weekend.
Mr. President, get up or I will kill you right there.
In loving memory of Jack Bauer
ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Post by ash »

Just goes to show, you don't know what you're missing till you try it!
Gemui

Post by Gemui »

I guess so! I sopent a few weeks quite annoyed by the coming patch - I thought it would leave hunters broken.

I'm glad I turned out to be quite wrong!

Although, now that I've looked at survival, I'm quite tempted to work out a PvP spec and give that a go. Some of teh survival tricks look really great. Anyone got some good talent/build sugestions?
tomas

Post by tomas »

Gemui wrote: Although, now that I've looked at survival, I'm quite tempted to work out a PvP spec and give that a go. Some of teh survival tricks look really great. Anyone got some good talent/build sugestions?
Fortunatly the entire tree is just full of talents that have a big "PVE" or "PVP" stamped on them.

I was personally toying with the idea of trying to fit in Counter Attack into a PVP Build, but its quite hard, I've read that some hunters just use a weapon chain to ignore disarm. Obviously Scatter Shot and Wyvern Sting are musts, and I wouldn't bother with Sniper Training, but take Point of no Escape. Expose Weakness is a bit poor (but still useful), I'm unsure about Hunting Party, I dunno how often long Mana fights happen...
ash

Post by ash »

tbh disarming BM hunters is the best thing in the world.

Go red? /dismantle /dance

don't forget a weapon chain is only -50% disarmed time, not immunity.
tomas

Post by tomas »

ash wrote: don't forget a weapon chain is only -50% disarmed time, not immunity.
The talent in Survival regarding being disarmed is a 3 point talent, each point gives you 1% Parry, and reduces the time disarmed by so much, I forget the percentage it gives, but i'm pretty sure at 3 ranks, it's not better than -50% Time.

At the end of the day, unless you've got an excess of points, you're best spending those 3 points somewhere else, and just getting a weapon chain.

Personally, i'm not a huge fan of Surefooted, since it only reduces the time spent snared by less than 50% at rank 3 (if I remember correctly) and most things that will snare/root you will just be reapplyed half the time anyway. I can't see this talent being alot of help when you're trying to escape a warrior/rogue.

I also think the talent the reduces the cooldown on Disengage is a must, along with the Disengage Glyph, not sure if it's changed, but with both of those you'll get 2 Disengages for every 1 Shadowstep a rogue can do.

Main thing that annoys me is that Readiness is a great PVP Talent, and if you're going Survival you can't get it.

Which brings me to the biggest thing I hate about the hunter talent trees, that you need at least 51 Points in 1 tree to be any good, for 2 out of the 3 trees. No hybrid builds are viable whats so ever, apart from quite heavy BM (like 50/21). And I was so interested in playing with hybrid builds :(
Gemui

Post by Gemui »

ash wrote:tbh disarming BM hunters is the best thing in the world.
Ah thats quite interesting! What other anti-hunter tricks do people have that I should try to watch for? :)

One of my irl friends is coming back to wow if I agree to PvP with him so I'm gonna try to get my head around it finally - previously I've pretty much avoided it so I'm a massive nub!
Demonheart

Post by Demonheart »

1. Eazymode (467255)
2. Dreamoness (462572)
3. Phaethon (461866)
4. Seppy (362386)
5. Axcenia (214450)

Today's VOA 10! :P I started viewing from the bottom so I was like "man, am I not on the list or what?"
Mr. President, get up or I will kill you right there.
In loving memory of Jack Bauer
Septih
Rick Roller

Post by Septih »

You'd've been beaten by vince if he hadn't overaggro'd. And with buffs I think i'd be slightly closer too :P
ash

Post by ash »

tbh its not like people try particularly hard to top the meter in voa cos most people are bored in it.

a dps meter is only a race if all the people in it are actually racing :p (not trying to put you down ofc)

I know I ask about it too much in 25mans, but I "think" (hope?) some of the hunters (who usually top it!) and others push themselves a bit more in those sorts of raids.

Average dps is possibly more important and shows a bit more visibility of the damage in the raid
Greentitch
I wish I had a forum rank. I do I do I do.

Post by Greentitch »

Marksmanship tree DPS
We like the damage numbers coming out of Marks hunters. That is our target right now. Your feedback would be better directed (assuming you want it to make a difference) suggesting how to get BM and SV closer to that target.
I'm guessing this means a survival nerf at some point. Just thought I'd let you know :)
tomas

Post by tomas »

Greentitch wrote:
Marksmanship tree DPS
We like the damage numbers coming out of Marks hunters. That is our target right now. Your feedback would be better directed (assuming you want it to make a difference) suggesting how to get BM and SV closer to that target.
I'm guessing this means a survival nerf at some point. Just thought I'd let you know :)
Knew it was happened :p Ah well.

I read some Hunter Blogs, particularly Big Red Kitty, and his Beastmastery Blog. He's now Survival because of the recent changes, and there is so much whining on the comments for his posts about how you can't spec what you want and be top damage. I'm wondering how many of them were whining in BC when they were "stuck" as BM...

I wish they'd nerf Chimera and Explosive shot, and buff more of the mid talents. But then again that's just cos I want to play around with hybrid builds and *hate* the fact you have to spec 51 points at least into MM or SV if you're going for that tree for it to be worth using.
Gemui

Post by Gemui »

I saw that post saying they screwed up balancing Surv & BM.

I guess its good that they came out and said it, but come on, how could they have not noticed before? I've seen weeks of complaint and the reply was basically "We don't care about your spreadsheets and test realm logs. We know we're right."

And about hybrid builds. If the "meat" of a build was in the middle, i think most hunters would turn out to be very similar. The good thing about strong end talents (not including the BM 51 pointer, but just below it) is that you do get very different flavours.
tomas

Post by tomas »

Gemui wrote: And about hybrid builds. If the "meat" of a build was in the middle, i think most hunters would turn out to be very similar. The good thing about strong end talents (not including the BM 51 pointer, but just below it) is that you do get very different flavours.
You're seriously trying to tell me you get more options by *having* to spec at least 51 points in a tree?

I personally think the entire talent tree should offer similar strengths. So when choosing to go from 30 to 40 points in one tree, or 20 to 30 in another, theres a choice to be made. I think a 41/30 or a 11/30/30 or a 5/35/36 type build should be viable, maybe not as good as a 51/20 build, but close.

If you spec Survival, you have to have 51 points in the tree for it to be worth it. Especially with the Survival tree, so many of the talents are pure PVP that it'd be quite hard for an intelligent person to come up with a build that wasn't only a couple of points different to everyone else.

Plus the fact that hunters are plagued with the fact that you always, no matter whatever you're doing, always, *have* to put X points in Marksmanship to be good. While this used to be 20, and now it's more like 13/14 it's still there.

I'd love to have a go at some sort of hybrid build with Beastmastery, buff me and buff my pet. But the lack of options in specs means I have to pick 1 tree, and invest heavily in that tree.