Masks of Nyarlathotep

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Greentitch
I wish I had a forum rank. I do I do I do.

Re: Masks of Nyarlathotep

Post by Greentitch »

Peeking a little further into the room, Evelyn sees more naked men dancing and chanting. The wall opposite the door has more drums and a ragged looking curtain obscuring an alcove directly opposite the door.
Orube

Post by Orube »

(Goodie, more naked men)

Evelyn will pretty much continue watching until something happens (i.e. whatever it is that's hiding behind the curtain is revealed)...unless she is, of course, discovered or William has any objections to her risky behaviour.
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

Up by the trapdoor William fidgets nervously, worried by the amount of time Evelyn is spending peering through the door. Not daring to call out, and definitely not wanting to head down the stairs and risk colliding with a suddenly fleeing nurse, he stays quiet and watches, hoping she'll have seen all she needs to soon and will be able to leave before anyone spots her.
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Evelyn continues to watch as the chanting and dancing continues. Other than occasional changes in rhythm and fluctuations in the volume of the change very little seems to change. After a few minutes one of the men, still dancing, moves closer to the door for some reason but his back is still turned. The dancing seems to be getting more frantic and the men are moving about more, occasionally colliding with each other before continue their leaping.
Orube

Post by Orube »

[So... I'm horribly stuck between really really wanting to find out what'll happen next and being very worried that this dancing naked guy will get too close to the door and we'll never see my poor nurse again... Any suggestions, anyone?]
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

(I'd say it's likely we've found out as much as we're going to be able to tonight, and staying too long is just risking getting caught. Unless tonight is somehow special, in which case sticking around might be important, but we've no way of knowing that and it seems unlikely considering we've heard reports that these gatherings are a regular occurance.)
accalia
Trouble maker

Post by accalia »

[I agree with Ian unless you particularly want to end up being cultist food I'd leave soon, and certainly go no further inside than you have. Watching for longer could reveal something of what they're up to, but if these are serious cultists capable of summoning things from the dungeon dimensions then if you do find out what they're up to, you're likely to lose some sanity points, a roll of some sort, gasp/scream and get caught and fed to said beastie. Though that could just be my healthy paranoia induced from previous games of this sort.]
AKA: Dreamoness, Mischief, Whitewitch, Wabbsi and Nightbayne.
"... there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake. And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun for the people who are still alive..."
Orube

Post by Orube »

[Oh... well, taking the safe route then.]

Evelyn retreats from the door, pushing it as far shut without actually closing it, just so the lightfall of the hallway won't reach the room anymore. As quietly as she arrived she makes her way back up the stairs and gestures for William to follow her. Outside, she waves at the two people on the balcony, then tells her companion in hushed tones about the things that occurred in the cellar.
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

The door closes quietly and the chanting continues behind it. Evelyn makes it up the stairs with no sign that her presence was noticed.
Septih
Rick Roller

Post by Septih »

James waves back and turns to Poppy "Do you think they caught her and addled her brain and now she's a simpleton or is the gawpy waving supposed to mean something?"
accalia
Trouble maker

Post by accalia »

Poppy grins at James and shrugs.

"You've known her longer than me, your guess is as good as any. We'll assume it's cultists and just have to watch our backs from now on when she's about eh?"
"... there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake. And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun for the people who are still alive..."
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

William and Evelyn head back to the apartment and up the stairs to where James and Poppy are waiting. He pulls off his dirty overcoat, then takes out his notebook and pen and sits down heavily on a chair.

He quickly goes through what happened in the store for James and Poppy. Flipping through the pages in his notebook he shows them the symbols from the walls of the passageway and the door, and repeats what Evelyn told him about the chanting and dancing going on behind it.

"If nothing else, we can at least be relatively certain now that the men in that room were the same group of people who murdered Mr Elias. I can't imagine two completely independant groups of people in this city just happen to wear those same masks. The question is, what do we do about it?

"I'd also like to know exactly what it is they're doing in there. Is it some sort of ritual? Are they trying to summon some sort of unearthly creature?" He glances quickly at Poppy to see what her reaction is to that suggestion. "None of them are likely to give us any direct answers of course, so we'd need some other way of working out what they're up to."
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

James recognises the symbols from the walls as Kikuyu tribal signs symbolizing evil. The Kikuyu are the major tribal people in Kenya.
Nobody can identify the other symbols that William copied down.
accalia
Trouble maker

Post by accalia »

"How simply dreadful that such primitive behaviour is happening here of all places! You'd think that people who live in such relative luxury would have left that kind of foolishness behind them.

"As for how we find out what they are up to I haven't a clue. To spy on whatever ritual they're performing really requires a better hiding place than that corridor. Theoretically I suppose there is a small chance they think they're cleansing the place or containing some evil. But I suspect that would be too much to hope for if they are the same people who killed Jackson and all those others. Maybe some research into the symbols you copied would give us a clearer idea.

"I'd really like a good snoop about now we know for sure there's a ritual being performed down there. I dislike the idea of breaking and entering, but it might be our only option if we want to know what they've got under that stone. We'll have to wait and see if the homeless men resume their vigil once the meeting has finished.

I'd also be interested in knowing where a few of them live, like the shopkeeper and that man who arrived early, as I assume he's one of their ringleaders. Following them home however will probably be extremely problematic unless we're very lucky and they leave the meeting last and aren't looking out for us.

"We could always inform the police too, and hope they bust the meeting next week successfully. How willing they'd be to share any information on what they find in there with us is another problem entirely."

Poppy shrugs and looks at the others.

"Any ideas folks?"
Septih
Rick Roller

Post by Septih »

"Well we only know about this place from Jackson's belongings. I'm not sure we can leap ahead and say that they killed him. They were bound to act suspicious anyway, especially when 4 white people come and question them.

I think having the police bust them up would work well, but only if we can sneak around afterwards, more a chance of arrest than a chance of death. Unless we have any sympathetic police officers to let us in.

Of course there's always our leads at the university - we could take them the drawings Evelyn and William took.

I guess we can do something else tonight though, but I can't see anyone being easily followed. We could just wait and see when it finishes and see if we overhear anything worthwhile, even if it's unlikely."