i34!

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Beckie
Sweet like Candy

Post by Beckie »

I didnt see the pidgeon there when I went home on Monday... we do have a local sparrowhawk..

And wasnt it young and motherless..?
Becki, Luvox, Candy, Prozak, Beckie
tomas

Post by tomas »

SleezeR wrote:
Korruptor wrote: I'll also be sure to get an external HDD pumped to the brim with LAN games everyone wants to play! =)

Age of Empires!

Some games we could play together would be good!

Highlights!
1) Getting in and setting up being quick as anything :p
2) Running around fighting mainly Seppy with inflatable hammers
3) Forcing Seppy to watch video's
4) Going for a smoke with Sleezer and coming back to lots of "Find sexy men" type sites Beckie had put on his computer.
5) Seppy altering one of my cast sequence macro's so its whispers Ian, right before a boss where I'm not going to use that cast sequence.

Low Points
1) Being hot all weekend. Half the time I went to smoke was to just cool off a bit.
2) Rock Band finals, they sucked, the bands sucked.
3) Dota, I hated it. I mean, really hated it.
4) Not getting a game (apart from Wow) that we could all play
5) Ian being in a drunken "Carry on till the end" mood (as usual) when we were sucking in ZA and wanted to give up :p
6) Ian being talking softly, seemingly unaware that even though I was sat next to him I couldn't hear him most the time over all the shouting and stuff in the room. Making communication easier when we're not at i34.

I think we seriously need to get a list of games together for next time. Some things we can all copy/get cheap and play as a group.
I'd also love to take part in more tournaments as a clan.
And I'd love to have matching T-shirts that make us look professional.
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

Hmm, I hadn't really thought of the game selections being a problem until now. Over the event I played:

Tabula Rasa with Tomas and Kevin
Dawn Of War with Tomas, Kevin and Seppy
Sins Of A Solar Empire with Pemby and Tomas
WiC with Tomas, Kevin and Pemby
DotA with lots of people
WoW with everyone apart from KT

I think the only time I played something that nobody else was playing was when I borrowed Tomas' DS and played Guitar Hero. But I agree it would be good to get more group gaming going on. The problem is that for group gaming you need a game that everyone can play at the same time, and there's not too many of them.

There's DotA, but as Tomas said not everyone likes that. There's DoW, but not everyone likes that either. Everyone who likes WiC already plays it. It seems to be only me and Pemby that enjoy SoaSE. Only me and Kevin were vaguely interested in SupCom, and we didn't play it in the end. Only Sleezer had WAR, and it looked interesting but I doubt I'll bother getting it since it looks so similar to WoW. It would be great to get more people on Tabula Rasa but I doubt that's likely to happen.

That just leaves WoW, but I think at this point there aren't that many people who want to sit around playing WoW all weekend. The single ZA run we did was enough for me (and I wasn't the only one who wanted to carry on, when I put it to a vote four people said they wanted to have another attempt at Zul'jin and I wasn't one of them :P). Once the expansion is out I'll get back into it, but I'm just not interested in playing it much at the moment.

One thing that would probably be awesome to play at iSeries would be Diablo III, but I don't expect that to come out before i35. WotLK is likely to be after i35 as well. Maybe there's something I'm forgetting though. Anyone have any other suggestions? :)
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
tomas

Post by tomas »

Commando wrote: It seems to be only me and Pemby that enjoy SoaSE. Only me and Kevin were vaguely interested in SupCom

SoaSE

I'd be willing to give that another go now I have a better idea how to play. Unfortunatly I can see me getting bored of it quickly. There seems to be very little to the game, just spam ships and run around taking over everything. I was disappointed Diplomacy didn't play a part in the game we had. I was also disappointed that the civilian thing I rushed for and built simply made attacking easier. I was hoping for some sort of "Faith Victory" where I could take over planets by converting them to my faith and having them overthrow the current government.

In alot of games like that, I always like to play for either some sort of Peaceful victory, or something covert, and this game seemingly offered me neither of these things

Supreme Commander

In my eyes, RTS games shouldn't last longer than say an hour. I especially get really bored with spending a couple of hours doing little much other than stockpiling resources, expanding my base, and trying to survive skirmishes.

Dota

Those kitty things were boring for me. It reminded me of something I might have played 20 years ago on the C64.
The fight thing we had after I found confusing and after a while pointless. I spent 25% of the game dead waiting to ress. The first half of the game was randomly clicking on things and hoping they would die. A bit like if you took Diablo, took away all the skills/abilities/gear and sent waves and waves at you, making you die every 10 seconds.
The second half of the game I wasnn't powerful enough to kill mobs. And seemed to alternate between getting owned by a group of mobs, or having Kevin 1 shot me.
At one point I decided to sit in the base and use my blanket silence effect whenever I thought I saw Seppy about to click on an ability.
Heeuge

Post by Heeuge »

So what happened with Rockband? Did you get drunk enough to enter? Did anyone storm through Run to the Hills on expert?
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

tomas wrote:SoaSE

I'd be willing to give that another go now I have a better idea how to play. Unfortunatly I can see me getting bored of it quickly. There seems to be very little to the game, just spam ships and run around taking over everything. I was disappointed Diplomacy didn't play a part in the game we had. I was also disappointed that the civilian thing I rushed for and built simply made attacking easier. I was hoping for some sort of "Faith Victory" where I could take over planets by converting them to my faith and having them overthrow the current government.

In alot of games like that, I always like to play for either some sort of Peaceful victory, or something covert, and this game seemingly offered me neither of these things

In theory that's possible, kind of. Increasing your culture by using the structure you built, in addition to lots of culture spreading structures (my side calls them Media Hubs, no idea what your side calls them) and research which improves their effectiveness should in theory encourage planets to overthrow their leadership. But from what I can tell it's incredibly slow, unpredictable and unreliable - it's faster to take it by force.

The game we were playing was pretty basic, I'm not sure how different things would be in more complex star systems with multiple suns, wormholes, more than one opposing team, etc. The diplomacy section probably had no real effect because there was only one opponent (the three enemies were teamed together and locked so they couldn't un-team). If we played with multiple separate opponents they're supposed to do things like set missions for you (ranging from "Give me 1000 metal" to "Go kill X ships from this player") which increase and decrease your standing with them. Don't know how well that works, the game we played was only the third multiplayer game I've ever had, but it might be interesting to try.

Heeuge wrote:So what happened with Rockband? Did you get drunk enough to enter? Did anyone storm through Run to the Hills on expert?

It was only me and Kevin so we didn't have enough for a team. :( Maybe next time. I'd like to have a go at the drums but I can't afford to buy a console at the moment, never mind the game to go with it.

The front entrance to the gaming and event halls:

Inside the gaming area:

The camp site. Tents going clockwise from far left - Kevin (green), Sleezer/Galain (blue), Beckie (dark blue), me/Seppy (green), Pemby/KT (blue), Tomas (red), random person (blue):

Gaming area after the event:

Camp site after the event:
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
squishy

Post by squishy »

Uploaded my photos, but my camera seems to have changed its shutter time, therefore most of them are stupidly blurry :(

here
CTSamurai to log in

I think i35 will be more organised, I think they'll have a deal set up with Dominos at least, maybe more outlets, the heating problem might be sorted, and hopefully security will be tighter, but still allow desk sleeping.

Spose you've gotta remember that this was the first one they've done in this venue, there will be a lot of things they can iron out for next time.

I won't be at i35 I don't think, unless there's a huge turnout. However, next summer, chances are high :)
P3mby

Post by P3mby »

I suppose if you want to play things as a group, you can always do so at the events we run at peoples houses. That is much easier to organise group things.

At iSeries it is so easy to find people to fill which ever game you want to play that you don't have to worry about being left out of a game of 40k or WiC, you can go post on the IRC or forums and organise a game of something else with the other people that are there.

People could help themselves here by getting to know some of the people that are around the rest of the event. There are many regulars who attend. I know most of the crew that started that conga line on the Sunday night and I know pretty much all of the group that were sat the next row over from us. I know some of the dignitas guys to talk to and I have met some new people this time round.

If the people you are sat directly next to aren't playing something you want to join in with, there are others around that might :)

Plus, as a group, we only really have WoW in common, as has been pointed out, you will never find any games that everyone will partake in. I for one love the Warcraft III based games and enjoy them immensely, even if I suck \o/

What people could do is put up a post of the games they want to play and try to make sure there are going to be others to play alongside them. So, Age of Empires X for example, there are also a few mod maps for these games that can be quite fun. Things that do for AoE what DotA and TD and RKR do for Warcarft III.

I for one would love to have a long running game of Civ IV at one of these, something just left running in the background that we come back to every so often.
OBEY THE TUBE!

It is never too late \o/
squishy

Post by squishy »

P3mby wrote:I for one would love to have a long running game of Civ IV at one of these, something just left running in the background that we come back to every so often.

God, I didn't even think of Civ IV.. this is necessary!
Korruptor

Post by Korruptor »

I actually organised a Civ IV game and got grumbles from some guys I met who were waiting @ 9am on sunday for me to get the game going but I was asleep with the taste of garlic in my mouth \o/
Galain

Re: i34!

Post by Galain »

I think this was one of the many highlights from years ago.
How are you all doing? Been far too long! Luckily Beckie gave me a new PW to get back on this site.

Galain
Galain lvl 80 Retired Warrior Tank.
Baerin lvl 80 Druid Treemender and former Big Chicken.
Hunter Mervik 70, Mage Chiani 70

*Tickling with HoTs*
Septih
Rick Roller

Post by Septih »

We're good (as Guild Master, I can speak for everyone now). How're you? How're the books?
ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Post by ash »

hai derpy derp

Im still bored of everything and avoiding responsibility \o/

hows the wife?
Beckie
Sweet like Candy

Post by Beckie »

Hai!
Becki, Luvox, Candy, Prozak, Beckie
SuperHawk