Company Of Heroes

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Company Of Heroes

Post by Commando »

I know it's a bit old now (not that I think you could tell by looking at it, the graphics are still pretty good even by current standards), but the game with both expansion packs included is currently on Steam for under £7. I've just started playing it and it seems pretty good, and the sort of thing that might be really fun at iSeries or any other LAN if plenty of people have it installed.

In terms of gameplay it's kind of like a cross between Dawn Of War and Dawn Of War II. Less base building than DoW but more than DoW II. Squad sizes seem similar to DoW, but the game uses cover and flanking mechanics like DoW II. It has elements of World In Conflict in there as well, plus some stuff from more mainstream RTS games. All in all, for £7, I'd say it's well worth a look if you've not got it already.
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
Dave

Re: Company Of Heroes

Post by Dave »

I've long been a fan of CoH! I only had the original though until a few days ago, then I nabbed the Opposing Fronts expansion for a fiver. It's a damn good, fun game, and I'm definitely up for some CoH fun at i41!
Seigfried (tank/DPS), Kirilas (DPS), Beltain (healer/DPS), Ludinar (tank/DPS),
Suspicious (DPS), Artermis (in progress), Physio (in progress)
FragZero

Post by FragZero »

I have the original aswell, no expansions, very tempted to get the steam package but i'm broke atm :s.
Warrior => Stainomo
Druid => Kokopelli
FragZero

Post by FragZero »

FragZero wrote:I have the original aswell, no expansions, very tempted to get the steam package but i'm broke atm :s.

aaaaand now i own the whole package, i just couldn't resist :p

There is Company of Heroes online as well, same game but you can buy powerups and you have to gain levels to get specia abilities. Not really fairs since you can earn powerups or buy them with real cash! Only good thing about it is that it's free.
Warrior => Stainomo
Druid => Kokopelli
Juan

Post by Juan »

I turn Steam on, I see the offer, I play some L4D2. I turn off L4D2, Paul asks "Played CoH? It's £7!" - I open the store, it's not. :(
Korruptor

Post by Korruptor »

I've got all the CoH games, ain't played in ages as I found it really hard to play. :(

EDIT: And Tim beat me to it.
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

Juan wrote:I turn Steam on, I see the offer, I play some L4D2. I turn off L4D2, Paul asks "Played CoH? It's £7!" - I open the store, it's not. :(
Snooze = lose. :( Probably should have texted you but I figured texting everyone I knew about Steam offers would make me seem even more like a Valve rep than I already do. :P The original game is still £7, you just don't get the expansions with it, but I expect they'll come down in price at some point.
Korruptor wrote:I've got all the CoH games, ain't played in ages as I found it really hard to play. :(
You're not fucking kidding! I started the campaign on Hard as I figured I'm usually pretty good at strategy game campaign modes, but about 5 missions in I've already had to turn it down to normal. Not sure if it's just because it's a very different style of gameplay than I'm used to but I really struggled with the Montebourg mission.

Definitely enjoying it though. :)
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

This is back on special offer today, in case anyone missed out last time. :)
Korruptor

Post by Korruptor »

This is definately one for i43!

I've got the full collection now (Was missing tales of valor previously).
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

Me, Tomas and Pemby all have it I believe, so that sounds like a good idea to me. :)
Septih
Rick Roller

Post by Septih »

I picked it up in the sales, would have to l2p tho :P