Blood Bowl : Dark Elves Edition

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

tomas

Blood Bowl : Dark Elves Edition

Post by tomas »

Another Steam Sale. Less than £5!

Even if the game is poor, £5 sounds cool. A good selling point for me is that there are 9 races to pick from, probably giving everyone a team that can fit their style of play perfectly.
Says in the blurb you can set up your own leagues with your mates for like a little championship. That sounds cool.

Gonna start downloading as soon as I go get my card!
Juan

Re: Blood Bowl : Dark Elves Edition

Post by Juan »

Sure. Why not. I enjoyed the board game. :)
Dave

Post by Dave »

I downloaded it too, played like three games, and I suck big time. ;D It's taking me a while to get used to the controls, I dunno why but the method of clicking seems counter-intuitive compared to the games I'm used to. I'm getting there though. Not sure if it's a game I could dedicate much time to, but at the very least it's there for some random funsies or i-series lols.

Oh yeah, my Steam name is Siggyfrizzle if anyone feels the urge to kick my arse. ;D
Seigfried (tank/DPS), Kirilas (DPS), Beltain (healer/DPS), Ludinar (tank/DPS),
Suspicious (DPS), Artermis (in progress), Physio (in progress)
tomas

Post by tomas »

1) The graphics look like 10 years old, but the game is from 2009 I think...
2) Alot of the rolls can be dodgy, because its based on rolls and sometimes it just goes that way, but it can be annoying
3) The interface and controls can be tricky to understand until you're used to them.
4) Online games seem a little dodgy, and it took us about half an hour to work out how me and Juanei could get a game.

But the game is fun, it is basically the games workshop board game, using the same rules and rolls. I'm also having alot of fun with it, I've got a team at nearly 2000 value from the campaign, with 2 catchers in there i've got an additional 4 skills for.

Had a few games with Juanei last night, the first of which he killed 2 of my players, and seriously injured another 2. Of the starting 1,000k you get for a team, I'd lost 180k on the two dead players, and the two seriously injured cost 210k.

I think it's a shame more people didn't get it to be honest. Setting up a league would have been cool.

I also think it's a strong indicator, that since buying Company of Heroes last week I've played it for 9 Hours. Since buying Blood Bowl at the weekend i've played it 21 hours :)
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

It did look kind of interesting, but never having played the board game I didn't really have much idea what it was all about. I've never been a massive fan of random-roll based combat though - the original Civ and Settlers games both used it and it was the one thing that really pissed me off about them.

Might go for it if it shows up on special offers again, let me know if you spot it.
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
Septih
Rick Roller

Post by Septih »

Commando wrote:the original Civ and Settlers games both used it and it was the one thing that really pissed me off about them..
My fully trained soldier HITS
Clumsy African dude MISSES
My fully trained soldier HITS
Clumsy African dude MISSES
My fully trained soldier MISSES
Clumsy African dude HITS
Clumsy African dude HITS
Clumsy African dude HITS
Clumsy African dude HITS
Clumsy African dude HITS
Clumsy African dude HITS
Clumsy African dude HITS
My fully trained soldier DIES

Fucks sake...
ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Post by ash »

Bronze Phalanx city defender vs 5 stacks of loltanks

PHALANX WINRAR!

I loved that xD

phalanx upkeep was so low you could, tech and tech and tech and tech and tech with loads of money, then OHHAI! I has mad technology to nuke the computer with, and the computer has researched bow and arrows! woop woop! they would attack my cities that had stupid phalanx units in, and I'd roll out with masses of tanks from my other production cities, roll over their attacking forces.

Kinda left you a bit on the weak side though if you got attacked on two sides though :D

man I played civ2 loooooads. I enjoyed it
tomas

Post by tomas »

Commando wrote:the original Civ and Settlers games both used it and it was the one thing that really pissed me off about them..
[/quote]

The rolls can be a bit annoying. I just had a game where I failed two turns in a row on my first attempt at a "Go For It" (2+, it's all D6 rolls). Then the next two turns failed my first attempts at dodging away from players (3+), and 2 of the 3 times I was the receiving team I failed to pick up the ball (3+).

So yeah, it can be annoying. Especially when you play a team with expensive players who sacrifice a bit of armour for lots of mobility and agility. To find that 75% of the time it's both those stats that fail you.

At least 2 of my guys leveled up (Given the Thrower "Sure Hands" which lets you reroll picking up the ball if you fail)

The AI of the computer isn't great... most the teams you can just out position them and they don't know what to do. But I'm happy with the idea of in that last game I got screwed by some rolls, and in a future game I'm gonna have a great time as my opponant gets screwed, cos it'll happen to everyone :p