Buy me a hat!

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Roper

Buy me a hat!

Post by Roper »

Interesting TF2 update...

I'm not really a fan of allowing people to buy in game items with real money, though at the same time I guess if other people want to pay and it allows development to continue on the game then it shouldnt bother me to much.

I like their honesty either way, we need to make some fucking money!

Thoughts?
Ropey - lvl80 Priest
Roopa - lvl80 Rogue
Darkropes - lvl70 Warlock
Ropair - lvl60 Retired Hunter
Vecko

Re: Buy me a hat!

Post by Vecko »

We also get regular feedback from the bean counters on our fourth floor, who -- after watching with tooth-grinding irritation as we shipped over 120 free updates to a three-year-old game -- gently suggested that we "make some f$*&ing money already."
Love it, fits in with the spirit of the game I guess :lol:

Enjoyed the game a lot and played it quite a bit when it launched 3 years ago (wtf 3 years already? ) If people would like to buy ingame items and if that makes it possible to keep developing the game I'm all for it.
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

I'm not a big fan of games that allow you to buy things that have a significant in-game effect, but that said I agree that when a game is 3 years old and they're still providing free updates (especially considering I got the game "free" with the Orange Box) I'd say they've earned themselves a whole hell of a lot of leeway.

Plus the update notes are hilarious. "I just learned that the Internet is a THING THAT EXISTS". :D
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
Vecko

Post by Vecko »

Q: Will you only sell Valve-crafted items? What about community-made items?
A: The Store will sell both. Additionally, community contributors will receive a percentage of sales on items they've created! We’ll be releasing more information soon about exactly how this will work.
This part is interesting as well. First time I see something like this I think.
Roper

Post by Roper »

Commando wrote:I'm not a big fan of games that allow you to buy things that have a significant in-game effect, but that said I agree that when a game is 3 years old and they're still providing free updates (especially considering I got the game "free" with the Orange Box) I'd say they've earned themselves a whole hell of a lot of leeway.
Yeah I'd agree with that. On the plus side I think they've done a fairly good job with TF2 of introducing items without making them significantly better, many have an upside but also a downside. I think on a lot of occasions the other weapons are different, rather than better. Having said that you could definitely argue that some are over powered or give a bit of an advantage, but we definitely dont have the situation where somebody can spend loads of money and own everyone. People generally seem to get most excited about hats anyway. :)

Also quite a lot of the weapons they've just added can be crafted fairly easily, oh and they've also introduced trading.
Ropey - lvl80 Priest
Roopa - lvl80 Rogue
Roper

Post by Roper »

Vecko wrote:
Q: Will you only sell Valve-crafted items? What about community-made items?
A: The Store will sell both. Additionally, community contributors will receive a percentage of sales on items they've created! We’ll be releasing more information soon about exactly how this will work.
This part is interesting as well. First time I see something like this I think.
And quite a decent contribution it seems!

http://www.halflife2.net/2010/10/21/tf2 ... -get-paid/
Ropey - lvl80 Priest
Roopa - lvl80 Rogue
ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Post by ash »

holy shit

earn over £20k in two weeks! just for some crazy item in a game
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

Fooking hell! :shock:
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani