Die2Nite

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Die2Nite

Post by Commando »

Found a rather neat little browser-based game that's currently in beta. It's one of those that you can punch a few buttons on, then leave for hours and come back to it later, so perfect to leave in the background at work. :)

The basic idea is that you're a survivor in a small town in the middle of the desert, surrounded by zombies. When you start out you get placed in a random newly-formed town along with 30-40 other people, with nothing but a patch of land to call your home and some clothing. You have to go scavenging in the desert to find materials and supplies which you can bring back to town and use to strengthen defences, set up workshops and water treatment facilities and so on.

You start each day with 6 Action Points, which you can restore once a day by eating food and once by drinking water. You can also restore them by taking drugs, but there's a risk you'll get addicted. :P Action Points are used to move around the desert, fight zombies (usually a bad idea unless you have a weapon), build defenses and structures in town and work in the workshop. It's generally a good idea to work together with the other people in your town, and each town has forums where you can chat and decide what to do. Alternatively you can steal from your fellow citizens and generally be a bit of a bastard, but if enough of them turn against you they can banish you, or even hang you for your crimes.

The most important thing is being back in town before the gates are closed, and of course making sure someone closes the gates before midnight. At midnight the zombies attack, and anyone left outside the walls will be eaten. :)

If you're interested you'll need a beta key from Fileplay.net. You'll need a Fileplay account but they're free, you just need to sign up. If they've run out I've got a few keys to give away too, so just send me a PM. The game itself can be found here.

If you do start playing, here's a few tips:
  • Upgrade your home to a tent immediately, and open the packages you get from it.
  • Don't upgrade it to a hovel, it wastes resources and that's very bad.
  • Always check the map when moving around, beware of any area containing zombies.
  • You have very limited space in your backpack so make sure you have room for things you'll find when scavenging.
  • Read the forums.
  • Be back in town before the gates are closed!
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
Vecko

Re: Die2Nite

Post by Vecko »

bah it doesn't let me register. "Registration is not possible in your country"

Anyone mind not living in Belgium to create an account for me? I'll pm you my beta key and you can decide what nick you'll give me :P
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

Be careful with this. Their rules on playing multiple accounts from one computer are rather strict, so I don't advise setting up an account for someone else if you intend to play yourself. It's likely country restrictions will end after the beta.
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
Greentitch
I wish I had a forum rank. I do I do I do.

Post by Greentitch »

I can do if you send me a PM. Browser games tend to bore me.
Vecko

Post by Vecko »

Greentitch wrote:I can do if you send me a PM. Browser games tend to bore me.
Nah it's ok. I'll wait untill the beta is over to have a look at the game. Don't want you to get problems creating an account of your own should it turn out to be a "really great game" :P Besides there's a chance it will filter on ip after registration as well.

Appreciate the offer though, thanks.