Mafia Game Rules

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Greentitch
I wish I had a forum rank. I do I do I do.

Mafia Game Rules

Post by Greentitch »

Basic Rules
Mafia is played between two teams; the Mafia and the Town. At the beginning of the game each player is told using a private message what role they are playing. A Town player only knows his own role; the role of everyone else is a mystery. A Mafia player knows his own role and also the identities of the other Mafia players. If all of the Mafia players are dead, then all of the Town players win (even if they are dead). If the Mafia players comprise at least half of the remaining alive players, then all of the Mafia players win (even if they are dead).

The game is split up into Day and Night phases. During the Day phase, all living players will talk amongst themselves using the forum thread and try to determine who the Mafia players are. The Mafia players will be trying to blend in and act as if they are Town players. Each player can vote who they want to be lynched. Everyone gets a single vote and can change their vote at any time by posting in the forum thread. When someone has reached a majority of votes (for example 4 votes if 7 people are alive), then the Day phase will end and that person will by lynched. This means they are dead and can no longer participate in the game; sorry!

During the Night phase, the Mafia will choose one person to kill by sending that choice to the moderator. The Mafia may also communicate with each other via PM during this phase to decide who they wish to kill. Some other roles will have abilities that they can use during the night phase which will be specified in their introductory PM. Once all actions have been submitted the Night phase will end. Anyone who was killed during the night is out of the game and can no longer participate. A new Day then begins and the cycle continues until one team has won.

The game starts with a Day phase. When a player is lynched by the Town or killed by the Mafia their true identity will be revealed, i.e. what role they were playing. When the game is over all identities will be revealed and the winners can do a small dance; the dead winners can do a Thriller dance.

Player Roles
Each player is assigned a particular role which determines which team they are on, their abilities and how they win the game. There is a separate topic with information on the different roles that may appear in our games:
Mafia Roles

The Actual Rules
  • You may not quote PMs sent from the moderator or other players in the forum topic. You may paraphrase them however, i.e. rewrite that information in your own words.
  • You may claim to be whatever role you like, whether this is true or false. You may also hide your role from the other players as much as you wish. However it is considered bad form to get yourself lynched by making people believe you are a Mafioso on purpose. The point of the game is to win!
  • You may not communicate about the game outside of the forum topic unless your role allows it, e.g. the Mafia may communicate during the night phase. Obviously it is very hard to prevent you doing this but it’s a game and it will be more enjoyable if you don’t communciate. Also remember that as a Town player you simply do not know if the person you are talking to is another Town player or a Mafia player pretending to be a Town Player.
  • If you have night actions then you should PM them to me before the deadline that I will post with the announcement of the night phase. If you do not PM me in time then you forfeit your action for that night.
  • If you want to pass on your opportunity to perform a night action then please PM me to let me know that you are performing No Action. This will help move the game along faster.
  • You should try to be relatively active in the forum topic. Not posting can often be taken as a sign of guilt. It also makes the game less interesting if nobody is playing! You should make a minimum of one relevant post per real life day.
  • When multiple night actions interact, they will be resolved using Natural Action Resolution from mafiascum.net
  • A majority of living players are required to lynch somebody.
  • Once a majority has been reached that player will be immediately lynched. Any changes in vote after the majority has been reached will be ignored.
  • If no majority is reached by the deadline then someone can still be lynched if they have a majority of votes amongst those people who have voted.
  • You can vote for no lynching. This means your vote will be counted towards the total number needed for a majority if the deadline is reached. If a majority of people vote for no lynching during the day, then the day will end with no lynch.
  • Votes must be posted in bold using the format VOTE: PlayerName. If you are changing your vote you should post UNVOTE. VOTE: PlayerName. This is to make it easier to see the votes when skimming over the topics.
  • Once a player has been lynched the game will enter a transition phase (Twilight). During this phase everyone (including the person to be lynched) may continue to post. I will then post a death scene and announce that the night phase has been started. At this point the thread will be locked to prevent any further posts being made during the Night. You are meant to be asleep!
  • Once you are killed (either via a lynch or a Mafia hit) then you may no longer post. Not even to call your fellow players names. Dead people don’t talk!
  • I will make posts using Blue text. You should refrain from using this colour to make it easier to see my moderator posts. You are not allowed to use very small, invisible or coded information in your posts.
  • If you have any problems with the game then please contact me directly using a PM. Do not post issues or complaints in the thread itself.
  • If you notice that I have made a mistake then PM me. I will try to reverse the change but sometimes this is not possible. In that case you can blame me after the game.
  • Breaking the rules will be punished suitably; up to and including death (in the game).
Things to Remember
Mafia is a competitive game but there is no point in getting personal. The aim is to win and this involves removing people from the game. However the roles people have are assigned randomly and there is no point picking on people due to personal reasons. The idea is to have fun (by picking on people for game related reasons).

I will try and post some basic tactics and ideas here.

You can find lots of information on the game at the MafiaScum Wiki.
The Newbie Guide is a good place to start. (or here )

If you have any questions about the game please post here and I will try my best to answer them.
This post will be updated with all rule changes and FAQs. If you are only interested in the rules of the game then you don't need to read any other posts in this thread.
Last edited by Greentitch on Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Re: Mafia Game Rules

Post by Commando »

First question - is the first rule of Mafia Game "You do not talk about Mafia Game?"

First real question - do we get to know how many Mafia players there are?

Second question - is the second rule of Mafia Game "You do NOT talk about Mafia Game?"

Second real question - can the Mafia players communicate by PM during the day or twilight?

Third real question - will we be told whether there are any "special rules" players in the game who aren't Mafia or Town players?
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Commando wrote:First real question - do we get to know how many Mafia players there are?
You will always know how many Mafia players and how many Town players there are in total.
Commando wrote:Second real question - can the Mafia players communicate by PM during the day or twilight?
No, Mafia players should only communicate with each other during the night. In a forum situation this is obviously difficult to police because I'm not going to read your PMs and you all have a easy way to contact each other outside this forum anyway.
Third real question - will we be told whether there are any "special rules" players in the game who aren't Mafia or Town players?
First of all, most of the "special rules" players (or special roles) are part of either the Mafia or Town teams. For example, the cop is a Town player who has a special ability. There are however other roles that play on their own with their own victory conditions, for example the Serial Killer who's job is to kill everyone!
At the start of the game you will be given a list of what roles are present in the current game. To make this slightly more interesting I'll be using a list of possible setups, one of which will be randomly chosen. This means you know what roles might be present, but you don't know how many of each role there are or if they are present at all. For example, the game might contain doctor and might contain a cop. However you won't be told whether there is only a doctor, only a cop, both or neither.
This will become more clear when I make the initial post for the game.
Beckie
Sweet like Candy

Post by Beckie »

A maximum of 2 Mafia to 5Townies sounds a sensible ratio to begin with. Otherwise Mafia would be too strong if they lynch a townie first night and then win by having voting control?

What happens if there is a draw in the vote? Does someone have to change there mind to force a lynching?

What time of the day will the first game start? Ie do the mafia have a chance to discuss tactics before the first lynching?

What time does night start and end?
Becki, Luvox, Candy, Prozak, Beckie
ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Post by ash »

I'm not sure I get this properly. How does the town decide who to lynch? For example I could just randomly pick smuigh to be lynched whilst I'm part of the mafia, because I know he's not 'one of us' but how could that person defend themselves to 'prove' that they are not a Mafioso? role play? o_O

also must the players who've been assigned 'doctor' or 'cop' make themselves known? or can they hide their role?

in a town, surely people know who the doc is? :D

hope I'm not reading too much into this
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Beckie wrote:A maximum of 2 Mafia to 5Townies sounds a sensible ratio to begin with. Otherwise Mafia would be too strong if they lynch a townie first night and then win by having voting control?
For 7 people there will indeed be 2 Mafia players. The same goes if we had 9 players, but in that case the Mafia would probably gain a "power role", e.g. a role with an additional ability.
What happens if there is a draw in the vote? Does someone have to change there mind to force a lynching?
There has to be a majority in the vote before a lynching occurs. The voting system is meant to be dynamic, with people moving votes around a lot. You don't have to stick with the first person you vote for. In fact, how you change your voting will be one of the ways people can determine what your game plan is. Remember that if, for example, 4 votes are needed for a majority, and someone already has 3 votes, then all it takes is for one of the other voters to move their vote to that person and they will be immediately lynched. However that might make you look like you are in the Mafia if you are quick to place that final vote on a Town player (remember the Mafia already know what side everyone is on and when someone is killed everyone will find out who they were).
What time of the day will the first game start? Ie do the mafia have a chance to discuss tactics before the first lynching?
What time does night start and end?
The Day and Night phases referred to in the game do not related to real-time day and night. For example, the first day often lasts a long time because nobody really has any information on who to vote for. There will be a deadline where if no majority has been made nobody will be lynched. In the current time line if we start on Friday Night/Saturday Morning, the deadline for the first day will be Tuesday Lunchtime for example.
The Mafia will have time to communicate after they receive their PMs indicating who is Mafia and before the game starts (by unlocking the game thread). I'll make sure everyone knows how the timeline when the PMs are sent out.
ash wrote:I'm not sure I get this properly. How does the town decide who to lynch? For example I could just randomly pick smuigh to be lynched whilst I'm part of the mafia, because I know he's not 'one of us' but how could that person defend themselves to 'prove' that they are not a Mafioso? role play? o_O
They have to convince the other players that they aren't a Mafioso. It's very hard to 'prove' it however. However you don't have any proof that the person you are targetting is a Mafioso either. Well you know they aren't, but if you say that then it's pretty obvious you are a Mafioso...
also must the players who've been assigned 'doctor' or 'cop' make themselves known? or can they hide their role?
You definitely don't have to say that you are a particular role. If you do then there's a good chance you'll be gunned down in the night because the Mafia will want to get rid of the doctor or cop more than an average villager. However you might want to tell people this if they are trying to get you lynched. On the other hand a Mafioso who is about to be lynched can claim to be the doctor or cop as well to try and prevent you from lynching them. This applies to everyone; anyone can claim to be whatever they want.
in a town, surely people know who the doc is? :D
Yeah but in this case they don't :P
ash

Post by ash »

ahha

so its a case of trying to work out whos bluffing almost :)
Dreams of being better
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

ash wrote:so its a case of trying to work out whos bluffing almost :)
Pretty much :)

The first day is probably the most difficult part of the game. None of the Town players have any information about who is who and the Mafia have that information but need to avoid being lynched. There is often a lot of random voting going on. You don't actually have to vote, and the day can pass without anyone getting a majority. However this is a bad thing as it basically means the Mafia are getting a free kill and you are in the same position again the next day but with one less Town player. Then again your Cop (if he exists) might have some information; which he probably won't want to confirm because then he'll be killed the next night... unless there's a doctor who would probably want to protect the obvious target of the cop... but what if the Mafia is expecting this and targets someone else because the targeting the cop would be a wasted kill attempt.

Why was that player vague with their voting on the first day? Why did the other player just jump on whatever was the popular vote? Is everyone out to get me? Should I tell people I'm a cop? Etc...
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

Just wondering, is it considered inappropriate to refer to "Out Of Character" information like what happened in the previous game?
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Commando wrote:Just wondering, is it considered inappropriate to refer to "Out Of Character" information like what happened in the previous game?
It's fine to refer to stuff that happened in previous games. The value of that information is however up to the individual to decide :)
Septih
Rick Roller

Post by Septih »

I assume we could do a certain amount of role play if we wanted?

"I makea you da pizza if you killa da craig"
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

You're welcome to roleplay as much or as little as you want :)
ash

Post by ash »

Serial Killer - Third-Party Player. MUST kill one person each night. Appears as a Town player to Cop investigations. Wins when they are the only remaining player.
Must? if they don't are they out of the game?
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

ash wrote:
Serial Killer - Third-Party Player. MUST kill one person each night. Appears as a Town player to Cop investigations. Wins when they are the only remaining player.
Must? if they don't are they out of the game?
If they don't then their kill will be assigned randomly (including the chance they kill themselves).
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Updated the rules with the ideas discussed in the 4th signup thread. In summary:

Everyone should post at least once per real-life day.
If no majority is reached by the deadline, someone will be lynched if they have a majority amongst the people who did vote.
You can vote for no lynching.