The Edge of Darkness

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Greentitch
I wish I had a forum rank. I do I do I do.

Re: The Edge of Darkness

Post by Greentitch »

Dr Armitage orders a coffee and listens to the tale intently. He does not seem particularly shocked by the events, but does show concern for the party's well-being and interrupts you occasionally to ask questions about the events that occurred.

He waits until you have finished your tale.

"I am very glad that none of your group were seriously hurt. I do hope that Mr Gill recovers from his encounter with the living corpse. Do you know who the poor soul was?"

"I hope you do not mind but I performed a little further research of my own into the small box you received. I did not find a great deal more information about it, but I do believe you should take great care to keep it safe. Those who possessed it in the past seem to have done so with risk to their lives. If I discover anything further about it I will of course keep you informed."
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

William hesitates before answering the first question. "We... heard a rumour that a woman in the area had gone missing. If I had to guess I would say it's most likely to be her, though honestly I'm unsure what to do about it. I'd really rather not become involved in a police investigation into her disappearance and death if it was her. Having to explain to the authorities how she died would be difficult at best." He rubs his forehead nervously. "Last night we were all far too exhausted to really think about it, but we did leave what was left of her corpse right outside the farmhouse. I suppose we ought to do something about that. If you have any suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.

"As for the box, I'm assuming you're referring to the sarcophagus and the unpleasant demise of Marion Allen?"
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

"I feel that her family should be told one way or another, however police involvement in matters they don't understand can often be problematic. Fortunately, I am acquainted with one of the Lieutenants here in Arkham, I shall speak to him on your behalf. He's been understanding in issues of this nature before."

"I do indeed refer to the sarcophagus. Marion Allen was unfortunately not the only person to suffer due to this object. It would appear some group based here on the East Coast may have been responsible. A number of similar murders have taken place over the past few years. Information about this is hard to find but some refer to them as the Bloody Tongue murders... I would urge you to keep the item away from prying eyes and be on your guard."
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

William nods gravely and thanks the librarian for his help and advice. "I'll discuss with the others how best to keep the box hidden safely. Do you have any information on the group that might be behind these murders that may be helpful in keeping us from becoming the focus of their attentions?"
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

"Unfortunately I know very little and neither it seems do the police, or at least they will not reveal their information publicly. There are rumours that these murders are the work of a cult of some kind, and given the nature of the killings I would not be surprised. I have a trustworthy contact in New York where some of the murders have occurred. Most notably a publisher named Kensington who has some interest in cult behaviour. If you provide me with a way of contacting you I will forward any further information that I discover."
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

"Thank you. With luck they will never find out we have the box, but the more we know about them the better."

William pulls his notebook from his jacket pocket and tears off a sheet of paper. Pausing for a moment to think about the dangers mentioned by Dr Armitage, he decides against giving his home address. Not that he doesn't trust the man, but there's always a chance that the address might get into the wrong hands if the librarian's research attracts the attention of those seeking the box. He writes down his name as 'Mr B. Jennings' and gives the address of his brother's empty apartment in Boston.
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

"Rest assured, Mr Jennings, I will not pass these details on to anyone else. I would not want to place you in any danger. When I have spoken to Mr Kensington I will contact you with whatever I discover."

He chuckles to himself,
"Perhaps after your success in Ross's Corners you can solve the Bloody Tongue murders. Now, unless you have any other questions, my wife is expecting me home for Sunday lunch so I will take my leave. You know where to find me if you need anything else before leaving Arkham."
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

William shakes Dr Armitage's hand and thanks him again for the help he's given them, then sits down again just as a waiter brings over the lunch he ordered. Eating slowly despite his hunger, he thinks over the warning the librarian gave and what it might mean for him and the others while he waits for them to arrive in the restaurant.
Orube

Post by Orube »

Stifling a yawn with the back of her hand, Evelyn enters the restaurant just as a figure departs from William's table. She stares after him with mild curiosity then proceeds to the table and sits down. It's odd, she's barely known him or the others for more than two days but after the previous events they seem to have skipped the step from stranger to acquaintance and become something entirely different altogether. After all, vanquishing demon entities does create a bond difficult to break.

"A friend of yours?" she asks inquisitively, then realizes she's being forward. "I mean, good morning. Or afternoon, or..." Evelyn sighs. "I think I need some lunch." An approaching waitress takes her order only moments after.
"Is everyone else still asleep?" she wonders out loud, trying to clear the not entirely comfortable silence. "..or did they leave?" Evelyn shakes her head. "No, they wouldn't leave. We haven't even been to the attorney's office yet. Do you think we could actually sell that place, I mean really?"
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

William smiles at Evelyn. "It was Dr Armitage from the library. And to be honest, I can't see it selling either but it's not really our problem. The attorney said they'd handle the sale and I'm more than happy to leave it to them."

Once the others have arrived William briefly recaps the conversation he had with the librarian, mentioning the potential danger to them all due to the sarcophagus. He offers his contact details to those in the group and makes a note of those that are willing to give him theirs.

Having finished his lunch he pushes his chair back and looks at the others. "If nobody has any objections I'll take the sarcophagus, the ritual powders and the notes for safe keeping. I work in a bank and can easily store them in a safety deposit box. I'll head to the attorney now and instruct them to see if they can sell the farmhouse. If any of you are interested in any proceeds from the sale I'll give them your contact details. After that I'll be going to the hospital to see Mr Merriweather and give him the good news, assuming he's alive and awake, and then I'll be leaving for Boston.

"It's been... quite an experience. Maybe we'll see each other again some time." With that he wishes them all well and heads off.
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

The attorney acknowledges your request to sell the property and tells you that he will split the profit of selling the farm, minus his percentage, between the members of the group.

When you reach the hospital you are informed that Mr Merriweather died shortly after you last saw him. The nurse is polite but clearly blames your party at least partially for his sudden demise.