The Edge of Darkness

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Greentitch
I wish I had a forum rank. I do I do I do.

Re: The Edge of Darkness

Post by Greentitch »

Although his experience of making a burning torch is limited to stories and general knowledge, William has little problem soaking some rags left over from cleaning in a little kerosene and wrapping them around a couple of sturdy branches. They wouldn't hold up to a great deal of stress, but they will burn with a strong flame.
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

William hands one of the clubs to Mr Gill, then hands a torch and the key to the front door to Evelyn.

"These clubs won't burn forever, but hopefully it'll be enough. The creature has moved away from the door so we should be able to get outside fairly easily. We're going to want to draw it a little distance from the house so we don't set the whole place on fire, but not too far." He looks at Evelyn. "Please could you stay by the door and keep the torch on us? Be ready to close and lock the door if it decide to try and get inside, though."

Looking back at Mr Gill he continues, "It looked like it was still wearing clothes, so if we can try and set them alight that would be good. There's two of us so maybe we can surround it. Whoever it attacks can try and ward it off with the fire while the other attacks from behind."

William breathes heavily. "Everyone ready?"
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Post by ash »

Lets do this.
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

To avoid unnecessary back and forth I will assume you are following the plan laid out above. One of you will fend off attacks from the zombie while the other attempts to burn and set fire to it with your torch. If anything other than what you have planned happens I'll stop events and let you decide what to do, but I won't ask you to say "I carry on burning the zombie" for each round if it's all going to plan. I'll let you post about unlocking the door and beginning the fight yourself however.
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

After checking that the creature's attention is still focussed on the shuttered windows, William and Mr Gill stand ready while Evelyn quietly unlocks the door. Nodding to signal that he's ready he waits until the door is open, then gripping the burning club tightly in both hands he dashes out through the door, yelling at the creature as he emerges into the dark.

After running about ten yards from the farmhouse he turns to face the creature, keeping a good distance from Mr Gill, hoping to see it chasing one or the other of them.
ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Post by ash »

looking at the creature, Danny decides to yell at it to try and get its attention. He knows he can run and at worst he can give it a good kick too to ensure it doesn't get too close.
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

As you rush outside the zombie stops hammering on the window and turns, moving towards Danny with it's makeshift club raised. Its clothes are damp and torn from crawling through the grass, but flames are still likely to cause some significant damage to it.
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

As the zombie staggers towards Danny, William moves behind it and attempts to inflict some damage with his make shift torch. Swinging the burning branch at the zombie, William strikes the creature and tries to keep the flames in contact with the bloated corpse. The grey skin begins to blister and blacken and the zombie issues a guttural moan, rearing away from the heat. Although the wounds have clearly caused some damage and would stop any man in his tracks, the zombie swings around with surprising speed, its club swinging towards William. Luckily William manages to dodge out of the way, keeping hold of his torch.
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

Stepping backwards out of the reach of the zombie, William takes on the defensive role allowing Mr Gill to attack from behind. Bolstered by the success of his attack he shouts threateningly at the creature, holding his burning club in front of him to help ward off any further attacks.
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Danny attempts to replicate William's attack, pushing his torch at the zombie's back. Although less successful he manages to burn the creature further and the smell of burnt, putrid flesh fills the night air. The zombie turns to face this new attacker, swinging wildly with his club once again. Unfortunately for Danny his normally quick reactions fail him and the zombie's branch strikes him solidly in the chest, knocking him to the floor where he lies in a daze. Seemingly content with this outcome the zombie turns back to the attacker who is still standing and lurches towards William once again.

Danny rather unfortunately took 5HP of damage, causing him to be knocked temporarily unconscious. He isn't seriously wounded but he's out for the count for a little while.
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

I guess you now need to decide whether you want to finish the zombie off on your own or take some other course of action. It is rather badly burnt and would most likely succumb to another successful attack. It did however just strike down your partner... Evelyn is also watching this from the doorway and could easily join the fray or attempt to help Danny.
Orube

Post by Orube »

Evelyn shrieks as she watches James collapse on the ground. Squeezing the door handle so hard her knuckles turn white, she notices the other hand, holding the torch, is shaking slightly.
"This is bad, this is very bad, this is really bad." she murmurs, then looks wide-eyed at the people inside.
"Should I go help them? I should go help them, shouldn't I? Oh, I should definitely go and help them." But the chanting duo can only shrug helplessly for fear of ruining the ritual. So instead, Evelyn nods to herself, trying to find the courage to step outside once more. It was a lot less scary when she thought she was trying to find a weak, injured woman in need of help...

Turning her torch off, Evelyn tiptoes towards the unconscious James, trying her best to stay behind the zombie. She kneels down to pick up the discarded bat, feeling ever so much more confident with the weapon. She checks if the zombie is aware of her presence and if she is convinced this is not the case, Evelyn sneaks up on the corpse, then swings the bat in a sideways arch, trying to break its neck, severing the spinal cord and hopefully rendering it useless. It's not a conscious decision, but her medical experience taught her where the vulnerable spots are.
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Do you mean the discarded flaming torch that William made, I think the baseball bats were left inside the house after deciding fire would be a better solution? If that's the case then you are more than welcome to take a swing at the zombie with it.
Orube

Post by Orube »

(Hey, she's just a nurse - bats, torches, it's all the same :$ Ahem. Yes, the torch, I meant the torch. Apologies.)
Greentitch

Post by Greentitch »

Evelyn moves to where Danny lies and picks up the flaming torch. Moving behind the upright corpse she swings viciously at its neck. The torch arcs through the dark leaving a trail of flame that entirely misses its intended target. However Evelyn does manage to overbalance and singe herself with the flames. Luckily none of her clothes catch alight.

The zombie seems wary to attack William face on after the serious burns he caused. For now it stays just out of reach of William's torch.