Dell Monitor Trade In

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Septih
Rick Roller

Dell Monitor Trade In

Post by Septih »

(Hi Heeuge! *waves*)

So yeah, my ex housemate brought to my attention that Dell are doing a deal where if you buy specific items you can send in old stuff for a set amount of money off (provided they work (turning on kind of working, not zero dead pixels or case scratches)). So my old monitor which is now my 2nd monitor thanks to the last monitor thread I made (<3) is kinda small with it's 1440x900 resolution and working across the screens is silly with dead edges at the top of the larger screen to the bottom screen. Question is whether this monitor - http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/pr ... dellSearch - or any of the others - http://www.rewardandrecycle.com/_Conten ... oducts.htm - would be worth it with the trade in of my old monitor, or whether there are better deals out there?
Heeuge

Re: Dell Monitor Trade In

Post by Heeuge »

I guess that means you're looking for a 1920x1080 at 22-24"? What's your main monitor? If you get two entirely different brand/spec/models they can give completely different pictures - the new Samsung I got at work would not, despite my messing, sit at the same white temperature as my secondary Acer. It annoyed me to the point I had to swap the Acer for another Samsung. That said, if you have a £500 IPS Eizo as your main, you might be ok with a little variety in colours between them ;)

If you trade in and get £65 off the ST2320L, it brings the price down to £114 - that's cheap by any standard. It's as cheap as £146 elsewhere but for £115 you'll not get much better. It's got good connectivity but not great picture quality reviews (here for example). At that pricepoint I'd consider a 22" instead, something like the BenQ G2222HDL for little more than £100.

If you want bigger and can stretch to £145 then consider the IPS panelled LG IPS231P-BN. 23.6" 1920x1080 LED backlit, pivot stand and good reviews all round (it uses the same panel as the 23" Dell Ultrasharp). You don't get to trade in your old monitor this way though, flog it to a mate instead!
Septih
Rick Roller

Post by Septih »

Currently I have this one: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/product ... u=320-7641

I don't mind paying a bit more or not trading in the old monitor, but I don't really have anyone to flog it to so it seems like a good way to get rid of it.
Heeuge

Post by Heeuge »

With 2048x1152 on the SP2309W you'll still have dead edges with a 1920x1080 panel next to it.

What price do you want to pay (realistically, not '£5 would be nice' :P )?
What will you be looking at on the monitor? Games/video/websites/etc
Do you want a gloss panel or matte?
What inputs do you need?
Do you need an adjustable stand?
Septih
Rick Roller

Post by Septih »

I know, but 190px fewer dead edges.

I think at most £150 give or take for a secondary monitor
Mostly websites, other periphery things like tweetdeck, winamp, msn, ventrilo, etc. If it were better than the current one (for whatever reason) then I would use it for games and video. But the current one is fine for that, so no real need for it to be amazing.
Gloss vs Matte I've never really looked into it, whatever I have at the moment seems fine.
For a secondary monitor I guess just a DVI cable input.
I'd want it to line up with the other monitor, though that one adjusts too and I don't like the slidey height adjuster found on my dell work monitor (it slips a lot).