New PC Thread #25421

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Smuigh
Hunter and Priest Class Leader

New PC Thread #25421

Post by Smuigh »

So it's been about a week since anything was posted around here about a new PC build so I thought I should have a turn. I've been meaning to upgrade/replace my 5 year old steam powered rust bucket for a while and now and after a few freezes and BSODs over the last couple days, I decided it's time to splash some cash.

I'm a complete newbie when it comes down to the insides of PCs so I'm afraid I might need a little more help than usual. Also I don't want to be building it myself so I've been looking through Scan's 3XS Systems which a lot of is meaningless to me. So I was wondering if you could help me choose something suitable for my budget and needs.

I have roughly £1000 to spend but can go a bit higher if there's something that'd be silly not to spend a little bit more on. I'd like it to get me a PC that'll last another 5 years (if not, more). I'll mostly be playing WoW on it but I'd like it to run SC2 and DiabloIII at as close to top settings as possible. Something nice and quiet would be a nice change too. I'd also like to finally own a legal copy of Windows7. Finally, if there's any money left a new screen wouldn't go a miss either. I hope that's not asking too much :P

Thanks in advance!
--- Smuigh ---
- Fayenia - Voen - Rhosyn - Zhaomian - Knuurv - Casurel - Eloza - Tydenn -
Smuigh

Re: New PC Thread #25421

Post by Smuigh »

Picked out this basic setup. Looks to be a decent enough starting price to pick some of the upgrades but there are so many that I'm not sure where to start.

I hear from friends that a solid state drive is a good thing to get nowadays. Also is it OK to use the onboard sound and network cards like it suggests? I'll pick out a screen I want some time today so I have a better idea of how much I have to spend.
--- Smuigh ---
Danders

Post by Danders »

I'd personally go for an i7 over an i5. They definitely are more expensive but really worth it imho. It's okay to use onboard sound and network, unless you're using wireless. Solid states are good, but very expensive, since you'll want to buy a normal "junk" hdd for storage as well as your SSD to work off, but apparently hdd's are what limits most pc's performance these days, so, you know.
Heeuge

Post by Heeuge »

For now, the i5 2500K is definitely the sweet spot for bang:buck - though the i7 2600 is definitely faster, is it £70 faster? I'd be putting that £70 into upgrading the VGA card or maybe a nice 60GB SSD boot drive.

If you're adamant that you don't want to buy bits and build it yourself you might find yourself hamstrung by manufacturers adding bits you don't need (speakers, keyboard, mouse etc) instead of getting you the best core hardware for your money.

Usually these days I tell people to get pre-built hardware / laptops from the Dell Outlet but their gaming machines don't really seem to be anything worthwhile (unless you go uber flash and get an (in my opinion overpriced) alienware model. To get a comparative setup to the OverclockersUK machine I'm about to mention costs almost £1400 from Dell! The outlet doesn't have any of the Aurora R3 at the moment, they update stock at 3.15pm every weekday so it might be worth keeping your eye on it - the savings can be daft!

I've gone for a minimum spec of the following bits:
Intel i2500K
4GB RAM (Don't pay through the nose for an 8GB upgrade from the supplier, prices for memory are rock bottom right now!).
ATi 6950 / nVidia 560Ti
60GB SATAIII SSD
1TB SATAIII HDD
600W (branded) PSU.

Building on the Scan 3XS model you linked, adding the relevant goodies (i2500K, 8GB RAM, ATi 6950, 64GB SSD + 1TB HDD, 650W Corsaid PSU) brings the total, without monitor, to a smidge over £1k. I reckon we can do cheaper!

[looks into it]

OcUK sell systems that are accessory-free, ie you put your money into decent components, much like Scan. As an example, their interestingly named Titan Triceratop is on offer this week and when specced up with no overclock, ATi 6950, 60GB OCZ SSD and Win7 Home Premium comes out at £882. Spend £40ish on a large second HDD and you've got everything you need except a monitor.

I was going to mention Palicomp since PCPro gives them generally decent reviews (and they're based in Crewe a few miles from me!) but if you google them the 2nd result is simply 'Do not buy from Palicomp' - There are some horror stories about them not matching hardware to listed specs. And their website is like something hosted on Geocities!

ChillBlast, on the other hand, not only get good reviews but the public seems to like them as well! Their Fusion Electron can be configured to a similar spec to the OcUK dinosaur for under £900.

You can save a few pennies if you don't need keyboard/mice/speakers etc and sometimes an included monitor is actually a decent one (at a semi-decent price) so it could be worth checking the models slightly over the price point you're at and reducing the price by unchecking accessories.

Right, I think I've rambled on enough for now.... Hope it's helped as much as it's confused you ;)
FragZero

Post by FragZero »

Heeuge - Do you know anything about esxi servers? :) (cheapass/homebuild)
Warrior => Stainomo
Druid => Kokopelli
Heeuge

Post by Heeuge »

At work we're cheap enough to use HyperV for our virtualisation so aside from a dabble with virtualbox my knowledge stops there.

Sorry!

What did you want to know?
FragZero

Post by FragZero »

Well i'd like to build one so i can test some setups.

supserspeed cpu
lots of memory
massive raid

for £50 :)

Offcourse it's not possible but i have no idea how much memory/cpu power i really need/would be usefull. (and decent supported motherboard etc)
Warrior => Stainomo
Druid => Kokopelli
Heeuge

Post by Heeuge »

How many guests would you be hosting at any one time?
You ideally need 1 CPU core (physical or, at a push, hyper-thread) per guest + 1 for the host at the very minimum for smooth operations.
The OS you're putting on will have minimum/recommended RAM requirements - Server 2008 isn't very happy on less than 1GB while server 2000 will cope with 128MB.
HDD-wise you should be looking to performance first (striping) over redundancy if price is the overriding factor. As long as you back up the guest VHDs you can recover them pretty quickly (unless your host blows up in which case you'll be down for a while regardless ;)). Assuming you're not using server architecture, getting cheap/large 3.5" HDDs and getting them (hardware) RAID 0 configured is a good start. Don't rely on software RAID, the read/write overhead removes the striping advantage in my experience.

For £50? Good luck! Get an old PC from a mate/family member, throw in some bonus RAM & get experimenting. There's no point in splashing out on lots of hardware if you're just having a play!

Of course, if your PC is a modern jobbie with multi-threadin multi-cores then it might be easier just to install VMWare or VirtualBox on your Windows machine and get playing from there. Mucho RAM will help you here!
FragZero

Post by FragZero »

I'd use it as

-printerserver
-fileserver
-router
-downloadpc

And to test windows enterprise setups

I'm currently using an X6 1090T + 8gb + a decent am3 motherboard, thinking of upgrading to a 2500k and buying 16gb of memory + 2x2tb hdd so i have raid
Warrior => Stainomo
Druid => Kokopelli
Smuigh

Post by Smuigh »

Back on topic :P How does this Chillblast Fusion Hurricane look.

It has everything you suggested. I'm rather fond of my current Antec 900 but is the Antec 902 on there worth another £81 or will the recommended upgrade do?
Also what's with the Windows Optimisation? Is it worth it?

With the CM-690 case, cheapest SSD, the funky thermal paste and cooling fans upgrades, and the windows optimisation it comes to £967 which is more than fine. A well timed pay rise means I can't stretch my budget slightly :)
--- Smuigh ---
Roper

Post by Roper »

Smuigh wrote:Also what's with the Windows Optimisation? Is it worth it?
It sounds like bollocks to me! :)
Ropey - lvl80 Priest
Roopa - lvl80 Rogue
Darkropes - lvl70 Warlock
Ropair - lvl60 Retired Hunter
FragZero

Post by FragZero »

Roper wrote:
Smuigh wrote:Also what's with the Windows Optimisation? Is it worth it?
It sounds like bollocks to me! :)
Worthless!
Warrior => Stainomo
Druid => Kokopelli
Smuigh

Post by Smuigh »

Something concerning me about this site. I've been able to customise the Fusion Hurricane that I posted above, and the Fusion Electron that Heeuge posted, to exactly the same hardware, only with the Hurricane being overclocked to 4.5 instead of 4.0, and I come out with the Hurricane being £130 cheaper.

Can someone else have a look to see if I've missed something. Also some feedback on whether I should buy it since I'd like to get something soon.

Case: Cooler Master CM-690 II Lite Dominator Case
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K Processor Overclocked to up to 4.0GHz (slash 4.5GHz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair A70 Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste
Case Cooling Upgrades: Quiet Cooling Fans Upgrade Pack
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V LE Motherboard
Memory: 8GB PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Memory (2 x 4GB sticks)
Graphics Card: Chillblast NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti 1024MB Graphics Card
1st Hard Drive: 60GB Corsair Force 3 Solid State Drive
2nd Hard Drive: 1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk (Is this unbranded btw?)
Optical Drive: Sony 24x DVD-RW Drive
Power Supply: Corsair Ultra Low Noise 600W PSU
...and remove all the peripherals from the Electron

I get £1060.78 on the Electron and £931.18 on the Hurricane.
--- Smuigh ---
Roper

Post by Roper »

Hmm, thats very confusing. I've been through it and get the same results, and I ca'nt see what would be different between the two systems since you get to select all the components, and then remove all the accessories. Its not like there are some basic parts for each and you just tweak things. I guess just go with the cheaper option unless somebody else can spot a difference?

Re. the HDD, I dont think it will be unbranded but will just mean they can stick in whatever they fancy at the time.
Ropey - lvl80 Priest
Roopa - lvl80 Rogue
Darkropes - lvl70 Warlock
Ropair - lvl60 Retired Hunter
Smuigh

Post by Smuigh »

Been spending most my weekend getting a headache looking through other sites for better prices/offers. Noticed the HDs on the Chillblast builds were only SATA2. Seeing as SATA3 HDs were on your list of essentials, I'm fine spending a bit more on getting them. I think the only part I have zero clue on now is the motherboard.

I built this on http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk. Being able to choose each bit from a larger list is a lot nicer than customising prebuilt systems with smaller lists.

CASE: Coolermaster Dominator CM-692 Mid-Tower Gaming Case
CASE FAN: Maximum Case Cooling Fans for your selected case
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5 2500K Quad Core 3.3GHz 6MB cache LGA1155 + Overclocking
CPU FAN: Coolermaster Hyper TX3 with 3 x Direct Contact heat-pipes CPU Cooling Fan
HDD: 60 GB Corsair Force Series 3 SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk
HDD2: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive
MEMORY: 8GB (4x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Dual Channel Memory
MOTHERBOARD: GigaByte GA-Z68A-D3-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard
OS: Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: Coolermaster 650Watt GX Bronze Gaming Power Supply
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card
WARRANTY: SILVER WARRANTY: 3 Year Labour, 1 Year Parts, 1 Year Collect and Return plus Life-Time Technical Support

£1098 incl delivery

Anything wrong with that? Motherboard? Could I find it cheaper and/or on a better website?
--- Smuigh ---