Aion

For random chat about stuff that isn't World of Warcraft.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

Juan

Aion

Post by Juan »

http://uk.pc.ign.com/dor/objects/822535 ... 61809.html

Looks quite cool to me.

http://www.aionthegame.com/2009/05/best-game/

And sounds like it might actually be good!

Anyone heard much about this?
Korruptor

Re: Aion

Post by Korruptor »

Was gagging for a BETA key but missed out all the free ones Tim from CAD was giving away. :(

At the same time I am happy. I have a stack about 1.5ft high of MMO's that I have BOUGHT and paid one month for at least. And of all of them only WoW is the one I return to occasionally. So no more MMO bollocks even if it does look amazing and you have the ability to fly from level 1....
Juan

Post by Juan »

Must confess, I would wait for a trial myself too.
ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Post by ash »

just no

I've heard its even more grindworthy than WoW ever was
Roper

Post by Roper »

I’ve already played 2 WoW killers this past year, so I think I’ll wait until any further ones have been out for a little while before trying them…
Ropey - lvl80 Priest
Roopa - lvl80 Rogue
Darkropes - lvl70 Warlock
Ropair - lvl60 Retired Hunter
Meserie

Post by Meserie »

Looks cool, but it's endless grind. Just an upgraded version of Lineage.
Greentitch
I wish I had a forum rank. I do I do I do.

Post by Greentitch »

Here are some distinctive aspects of Aion:
* The World: Aion is set in a unique land where players explore the inside of a shattered world, separated into two halves with the Abyss between them.

* Aerial Combat: No longer limited to two-dimensional combat on the ground, players in Aion can fly. Now think of online combat on a massive scale where attacks can come in any direction.

* PvPvE: Players will be able to engage in intense raids and other encounters with computer opponents, not to mention the opposing player faction.

* Classes: Players have a choice of four classes to start with, and can then move on to two more specialized classes once they attain a certain level of capability.

* Character Customization: You can customize your character in a multitude of ways with a thorough character creation and crafting system, as well as detailed item customization options.
Other than aerial combat, how are any of those features distinctive? I think you've got to try a bit harder to be distinctive, rather than simply being any RPG for the last 10 years.
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

Greentitch wrote:
* Classes: Players have a choice of four classes to start with, and can then move on to two more specialized classes once they attain a certain level of capability.
Heh, I thought that sounded familar, so I looked for a little information on the game - it's by NCSoft, same as Tabula Rasa was. That's pretty much how their class system worked, except there were an additional two levels before you got to the four classes.
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
Greentitch
I wish I had a forum rank. I do I do I do.

Post by Greentitch »

Commando wrote:Heh, I thought that sounded familar, so I looked for a little information on the game - it's by NCSoft, same as Tabula Rasa was. That's pretty much how their class system worked, except there were an additional two levels before you got to the four classes.
Yeah, they make a new MMO every year or so.
Jazm

Post by Jazm »

played a bit of the beta, and its pretty.. very pretty... but nothing that I would call a WoW killer yet. the flight aspect of it is.. okish.. but its got a limited timer etc which really kills the feature I think, you have to plan you flight out so you dont fail and fall.

and the grind aspect is simple you have to do everyquest in every zone at present to have enough to clearly level unhindered that way, but if you get a few you cant do/group ones etc some nice eastern style grinding does come into it.
ash
Msg 512, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Subquery returned more than 1 value.

Post by ash »

If you're wondering about the pvp side of things, I was linked this video via a blog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yQIhxZ9d_k

looks like alot of running around to me.

oh and I have no idea if there is any validity in this:

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/7706 ... expis4.jpg

at worst its a funny joke ;)
Jazm

Post by Jazm »

when your given an arena with no structure or obsticles it makes it look so aweful, WoW arena's do quite a bit of movement but at least there is some environment to add to the skillset.

combat in general seems abit slow to me even tho there is alot of moving about.

and that last picture is awesome :D
Dave

Post by Dave »

Commando wrote:
Greentitch wrote:
Heh, I thought that sounded familar, so I looked for a little information on the game - it's by NCSoft, same as Tabula Rasa was. That's pretty much how their class system worked, except there were an additional two levels before you got to the four classes.
I thought the exact same thing, as I'd encountered it before in City of Heroes. So I checked, and... guess who made CoH? ;D
Seigfried (tank/DPS), Kirilas (DPS), Beltain (healer/DPS), Ludinar (tank/DPS),
Suspicious (DPS), Artermis (in progress), Physio (in progress)
tomas

Post by tomas »

Dave wrote:I thought the exact same thing, as I'd encountered it before in City of Heroes. So I checked, and... guess who made CoH? ;D
Everytime you updated (or logged on?) Tabula Rasa they'd remind you you probably wanted to have a go at City of Heroes, go on, you know you want to!