I always thought I should be able to put WoW on my CV....

Got World of Warcraft news? Seen something cool? Share it here.

Moderator: Guild Shogun

faery
Mage and Druid Class Leader

I always thought I should be able to put WoW on my CV....

Post by faery »

Faerydust, Pixiedust, Glitterdust, /who dust...
Beckie
Sweet like Candy

Re: I always thought I should be able to put WoW on my CV....

Post by Beckie »

This was on sky news last night as well. I always think its funny when they use very old in game footage - in this case it was naxx and very zoomed in.
Becki, Luvox, Candy, Prozak, Beckie
Quadrantid

Post by Quadrantid »

It all sounds daft, but if I ever decide to leave academic life and head into industry side stuff, I'll definitely be adding some WoW stuff to my CV. I've discussed the guild I used to run in a couple of job interviews before - always get the jobs ;)

It's a good way of giving evidence of teamwork and organisational skills outside of a work environment, which impresses some people :D I certainly learnt a hell of a lot in the 2 years I was running that guild (before I ran away to Neptulon), and I suspect that's helped me manage my collaborations and everything since :D

Obviously, would depend on the job as to whether it's worth having on there, but it's certainly something I'd consider :D
Since the dawn of time, man has yearned to destroy the Sun...
faery
Mage and Druid Class Leader

Post by faery »

I have always wanted to put it on my CV as there are so many things that they say u need to show that you can with raiding and being an active guild member like time keeping (being there on time) and people management (raid leading).
And I have been in many raids where killing the bosses is such an achievement as it says on the websites all the successful guilds comes down to having a good raid leader and people who can work together.
But I have always had this trouble with my friends who think im a freak for playing it and its hard when ur trying to explain so many aspects of the game especially the social side when they havent played it before :p so i think that employers would only frown at it... (ooo it turned into a much longer para than i thought.. i never did learn to use punctuation properly lol)
Faerydust, Pixiedust, Glitterdust, /who dust...
kenji

Post by kenji »

Wow has been on my CV for over 4 years now :) We even got our own mailing community for WOW at my current employer. Then again I am in the IT business.
Commando
Shogun on Sabbatical

Post by Commando »

If you don't mind me asking (and it's fine if you do!), how exactly did you phrase the section about WoW on your CV? Would be interested to know how you described it in a way that employers are going to see it as a good thing. :)
Commando, Scytale, Leto, Yueh, Thufir, Chani
Septih
Rick Roller

Post by Septih »

Commando wrote:If you don't mind me asking (and it's fine if you do!), how exactly did you phrase the section about WoW on your CV? Would be interested to know how you described it in a way that employers are going to see it as a good thing. :)
Volunteer work with the mentally disabled.
Beckie
Sweet like Candy

Post by Beckie »

Septih wrote:Volunteer work with the mentally disabled.
I already have that on my CV.. and I wouldnt want to duplicate

I could do with some leading people "experience".. if only to get out of going on silly HR courses for the 2nd time. But then my relationship with my current minions would be better then my experience in wow..

But I dont think id put wow on my CV most my work friends dont even know I play it.. but then im not in an IT department..
Becki, Luvox, Candy, Prozak, Beckie
Juan

Post by Juan »

A guy we just hired at work came in today with a WoW t-shirt on. I'm looking forward to my next shift with him so I can quiz him on how small his e-peen is.
tomas

Post by tomas »

Septih wrote:
Commando wrote:If you don't mind me asking (and it's fine if you do!), how exactly did you phrase the section about WoW on your CV? Would be interested to know how you described it in a way that employers are going to see it as a good thing. :)
Volunteer work with the mentally disabled.
I've coordinated a team of 40 to achieve specific group goals on a limited timeframe.
Networked a group of over 500, creating my own ruleset that was fair to everyone and kept everyone happy and content.
Gave hours of free time every week in the pursuit of a goal, not resting until it was complete.

I'm sure you could put all sorts. Leading a guild of 500 "people" many whom have described as the best guild they've ever been in has to be worth something.
Roper

Post by Roper »

tomas wrote:kept everyone happy and content.
Not sure about this one. :)
Ropey - lvl80 Priest
Roopa - lvl80 Rogue
Darkropes - lvl70 Warlock
Ropair - lvl60 Retired Hunter
Brechnar

Post by Brechnar »

I'm currently working on a paper on this matter. Hah, WoW is going to help me pass my exam! :)